Posts Tagged ‘ksrtc’
The KSRTC began as the Travancore State Transport Department, constituted by the erstwhile Travancore Government with a view to reorganize the transport service of the erstwhile state of Travancore. Mr E.G. Salter, Assistant, Operating Superintendent of London Passenger Transport Board was appointed as Superintendent of the Transport Department on 20 September 1937. It grew in size with nationalisation of key inter-state routes such as Thiruvanathapuram to Kanyakumari and Palakkad to Coimbatore
The first fleet consisted of 60 Comet chassis fitted with Perkins diesel engines, imported from England. The bus body was built by the staff of the Travancore State Transport Department under the supervision of Mr Salter himself. The selection of operating staff remains as a model which has been followed by the present staff as well. The department gave preference in recruitment for those who were likely to lose their jobs in the private transport companies due to the nationalization of Thiruvanathapuram Kanyakumari route. Thus, the Transport Department started with a staff of about a hundred graduates appointed as Inspectors and Conductors.
The State Motor Service was inaugurated by His Highness Sree Chithirathirunal on 20.2.1938. His Highness and his kin were the first passengers of the inauguration trip and Mr. Salter was himself the driver to that bus. This bus along with the 33 other buses brought on road driving through the Kawdiar Square was an attraction at that time. Kunnel G Varghese(1913–1999) at the time 25 years old, along with some others were some of the first drivers of the K.S.R.T.C. Kunnel G Varghese later retired after 40+ years in the service with K.S.R.T.C.
Consequent on the enactment of Road Transport Corporation Act in 1950, Govt. of Kerala formulated KSRTC rules in 1965 by sec.44 and the department was converted into an autonomous corporation on 1 April 1965. The Kerala State road Transport Corporation was established by the government of Kerala by the notification dated, 15 March 1965.
In 1995 KSRTC ventured into the technical education field as well with the starting of an engineering college named Sree Chitra Thirunal College of Engineering at Pappanamcode in its Central Workshop premises.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia